Tash AA vs Tash Spell

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I play an enchanter as a support toon and while it's a fun class for sure, I don't have the time or inclination to master all the nuances.

Enchanters get more spells than any other class and because there's such a variety it's tough to pick and choose among just 12 to keep loaded. (Yeah I know about fastspellmem, but it's an active hack so I don't use it.)

I'd like to dump the Tash spell and just use the AA but I'm unclear if the -MR effects are comparable. The data for these spells is confusing.

For example, the AA is called Bite of Tashani and the info on allak is:

Bite of Tashani None Increase Poison Counter by 1
Decrease Magic Resist by 10 (L1) to 50 (L61)
Decrease Magic Resist by 50
Decrease Magic Resist by 80

Not sure why even 3 are listed. But at most it looks to have a -50 or -80MR effect.

The info on the spell, whose highest level is called Decree if Tashan is:

Decree of Tashan ENC/102 Empathy
Decrease Magic Resist by 55 (L102) to 160 (L101)
Increase Poison Counter by 1
Limit: Max Level(105) (lose 10% per level over cap)
Limit: Effect (Hitpoints allowed)
Limit: Resist (Chromatic allowed)
Limit: Spell Type (Detrimental only)
Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed
Limit: Minimum Mana Cost (10)
Unresistable 0 Single
Decree of Tashan Rk. II ENC/102 Empathy
Decrease Magic Resist by 57 (L102) to 164 (L101)
Unresistable 0 Single
Decree of Tashan Rk. III ENC/102 Empathy
Decrease Magic Resist by 59 (L102) to 168 (L101)

The bold part is super-confusing. I dunno what that means. I suspect this spell reduces MR by 55-59, depending on spell rank.

Now if the AA is -50 and the spell is -59, I can live with using the insta-cast AA and saving a spell spot. But if the spell is really more like -160 to -168, the spell would be essential since -MR is very important, especially for landing mezzes.

The AA is aoe with a range of 50 but it's also non-agro. Which means it should be useable even in a tightly crowded mob situation.

I've been thinking of doing some tests of my own, using highly MR mobs, and see if over 100 casts I can see a difference.

Thoughts?

From what I see:

Bite of Tashani
Enchanter (AA)

Slot 1: Increase Poison Counter by 1
Slot 2: Decrease Magic Resist by 80

Decree of Tashan Rk. II
Enchanter (102)

Slot 1: Increase Spell Damage Taken by 1507
Slot 2: Decrease Magic Resist by 107
Slot 4: Increase Poison Counter by 1
Slot 5: Limit Max Level: 105 (lose 10% per level)
Slot 6: Limit Effect: Current Hit Points
Slot 7: Limit Resist: Lowest
Slot 8: Limit Type: Detrimental
Slot 9: Limit Combat Skills: Exclude
Slot 10: Limit Min Mana Cost: 10

The best part of the tash spell is it gives 10% spell damage bonus with chromatic spells. If you don't want/need that then just use the tash AA.

Last edited:
So how much -MR does the spell provide? I still can't figure that out. Assume Rank 3 spell being cast by a level 105 toon.

Code:
[B][44915/6607] Decree of Tashan Rk. III[/B]
Classes: ENC/102
Skill: Abjuration
Mana: 100
Target: Single
Range: 200'
Resist: Unresistable
Reflectable: Yes
Casting: 1s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 1.5s
Duration: 14m (140 ticks), Dispelable: No, Allow Fast Regen: Yes
Hate: 1200
1: Increase Spell Damage Taken by 1582
2: Decrease Magic Resist by 109
4: Increase Poison Counter by 1
5: Limit Max Level: 105 (lose 10% per level)
6: Limit Effect: Current HP
7: Limit Resist: Lowest
8: Limit Type: Detrimental
9: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
10: Limit Min Mana Cost: 10
- 109MR

Is it worth memming, only if you are using an enc as dps in your group, otherwise -80 mr from the AA is already quite enough to do the do job. And remember casting the AA doesn't effect waiting on global cooldown timers.

Last edited:
Aspire, where did you get that info?

I'm not even sure -80MR is what the AA does, altho there's indication of that.

The extra 10% damage is nice, especially since it's enhanced by Illusions of Grandeur and other crit-increasing buffs.

according to eqresource:

the aa bite of tash is -70 MR at rank 3.

the rank 1 spell decree of tash is -105 MR.

the spell gives a boost of 1435 damage to chromatic-based spells only.

the boost to chromatic-based spells is from the ingame tooltip. the parsers (raidloot and eqresource) don't seem to indicate any stipulation to spell type, but i don't know if that's a parser failure or my failure to read. could be both.

everything that follows is just my opinion based on boxing my enc. i'm not an enchanter pro so this might all be bullshit. i've written and deleted this three times because i don't want to come across as a know it all jackass, so please keep that in mind.

your initial post said you were concerned with magic resist and mez. that baffles me. i use wave to ae mez and rarely get a resist. i don't bother with single target mez because if i only need to mez one, i obv didn't pull enough. if i did need to mez a single target i'd use bewildering flash because it's faster and has a huge -100 resist check vs. chromatic. it's basically going to land unless something is immune or level 109. has a long recast (90 sec), so it's not something you can use as your primary mez.

enc have so many tools it's absurd. i use the aa mez scintillating beam and beam of slumber along with wave to lock down big ass pulls. that's not even using the ae mez perilous because i never have enough gems.

scintillating is a frontal ae mez. instant cast. 5 targets max. only up to level 104, but it's also a root. and when it fades (over a minute duration), it applies a accuracy debuff and a snare.

beam of slumber is also a frontal ae mez. .6 second cast time. 8 targets max. up to level 108. duration is 3 ticks.

between those two spells and wave, there is little that doesn't get locked down real fast. no tash required!

and even if you enc is just a bot, you can always tab over and hit the two aa buttons after you pull too many. that's how i do it.

i do use decree of tash to make my enc crits bigger. but that's for my entertainment value and not the actual dps. i'm not sure if any other classes other than cleric and enc have chromatic-based nukes.

your mileage may vary!

Aspire, where did you get that info?

I'm not even sure -80MR is what the AA does, altho there's indication of that.

The extra 10% damage is nice, especially since it's enhanced by Illusions of Grandeur and other crit-increasing buffs.

raidloot.com

Am I invisible? :(

Nopers, sorry I must have scrolled down too fast!

All very useful info, thanks guys! I do pull a lot of mobs at once and I find that the ae mezz spells do get some resists, this is why I need to keep up with tash. I'd love to free up a spell slot but I always want to maximize -MR. Among my casters I believe only my enchanter casts chromatic nukes so while an extra 10% for his damage is nice, I'm not sure it's nice enough to justify a spell slot for the tash spell.

Quite a conundrum.

Timmy, thanks for your post. Well worth your time writing it up!

Older thread, but in the interest of being complete two small points:

1. The bite of tashani AA is PBAE, not a single target ranged AA (you can test this by standing near some mobs with nothing targeted, click AA and you'll tash them). If it seems you've been getting tash resists, more likely, they were outside the very small PBAE range of the AA.

It's a special purpose AA in my opinion, e.g.,

PBAE mezz some mobs;
AA Tash them;
PBAE Stun them.

It won't always be applicable (especially in tight quarters, I've pulled twenty or so mobs by accident using an AE ability when I shouldn't (always a fun wipe).

2. Now that tash automatically procs ethereal manipulation, if you're grouped with a wizard(s), it's worth the cast for that reason alone.

I pretty much keep Decree of Tashan memmed though I'd love to save a spell slot. Also, for when I do want to use an AE AA to aggro a bunch of mobs (thinking Defense of Health, e.g., to protect the NPC heroes), I go with Crippling Aurora; it's got an absurdly large 100 AE range).